Thursday, May 26, 2011

Making fabric out of your children's drawings-

I've been obsessed with Spoonflower (www.spoonflower.com) since Jen A. sent the link to me about a year ago. It's a site that allows you to upload your image and then they print it as fabric. They offer different ways to repeat the pattern on the fabric and you can play around and customize it from there. The instructions are amazingly detailed and well written and helpful- it's incredible. At $18 a year for cotton (they offer many fabric types) it's also quite a steal.

Since that first realization that I have the option of making my own fabric I've been working on sketches and ideas as often as time allows. But better yet, I realized that I can use my kids drawings as well and THEY can make their own fabric and that got my heart racing.

So after fiddling around with a line tracer program and my 4 year old and I laboring over colors-here is what she came up with! I'll post what we make for her out of it after it's completed. She is fascinated that it will come in the mail just like mommy's fabric does ;).

If I had the money I would do this with every student in my class!! If you are interested in making an item out of your own child's drawings (I thought backpacks would be super cool for boys!) then email me (lacijean@yahoo.com) and I'll tell you how to send me a drawing and I'll take it from there!

No comments:

Post a Comment