Monday, December 27, 2010

Jana's Barbie Bag








This was one of my favorite items that I made for Christmas- one amazing Grandmother (their family lived in Germany so her grandma name is "Oma") called me and asked me to make a custom bag/purse/carrier- whatever- that her granddaughter could use to carry her Barbies to her house to play with. Seriously- the plastic, standard Barbie case from Target is cool and all......but handmade bag made just for you at 6 years old for your Barbies??? It doesn't get much more thoughtful than that!
I know this little girl very well and I love her to pieces- I also know her style well (and yes, even though she is 6 she still has her own style, trust me!) so picking fabrics for her was great fun for me. For the main fabric I went with my favorite designer, Anna Maria Horner, using her flannel that is insanely soft and yum, yum, yummy! I want to make everything out of it but I'm kind of hoarding it so finally using it in a piece was pretty satisfying.
Inside are 8 elastic pockets to place Barbies in.....a couple of them I made a teeny bit bigger in case there are some Kens in a collection since his shoulders are a touch broader. I used my daughter's Barbie arsenal to get all of the measuring correct! The front of the back has a nice, amply spaced zipper pocket for any of Barbie's shoes or clothes that need to come along. The bag has a flat, oval bottom so it will stand nice and very upright (kind of like luggage) for maximum playtime ease. There is still some space in the middle of the bag for any other accessories (like a Barbie scooter for instance). I made a sling handle for the easiest carrying possible.
Oma- Jana is one luck girl to have you as a grandmother for many more reasons than just your thoughtfulness! What a blessing for her to have you!!!
If any of you want to spoil a little girl in your life the Jana Barbie bag is $48
xoxo-
holly

1 comment:

  1. YES!!!! This is a fantastic idea! How many barbies fit in this? Do you have one that fits like 40 of them?? ;)

    ReplyDelete