Sunday, September 26, 2010

Witch Costume invented by a 3 year old.....




I try to be a good Mom every day of my life......most of the time I fall short! But the ONE thing that I am always good at (although I wish it was keeping my temper under control) is letting my children be creative. Since creativity is so near and dear to my heart- it is crucial for me to let them to experience that freedom.

That all brings me to Laci's costume for Halloween this year. I let both of my oldest children decide what they want to be and pick everything that goes into it as well as help me tweak patterns for them (we draw it out together). They are fully involved in the project and they love every second of it, except for the waiting since it takes me an eternity to finish anything for them :).

Laci has known since last year that she wanted to be a witch and she has stuck with it. We have been collecting fabric for the much anticipated witch costume as she has been shopping with me at fabric stores roughly three times a week this entire year-she knows her fabric!! Whenever she was absolutely in love with a fabric- we bought it and put it in a special spot. Typically, brown, sparkly gold, black and purple would not be a color choice that I would run with but it was what she wanted and honestly- she has a pretty good eye for color even at 3.

Laci wanted it to be tight (whoa- I'm scared for the teenage years!) and her sleeves to be long and see through.....she also wanted tons and tons and tons of sparkle. She gets very bossy during this process and she barks orders at me like I am her full time seamstress. I already have a laundry list of how exactly her purse that will match to carry her candy in should look!

I have to admit- looking at our finished product that we worked on so hard together seriously makes me melt. She is getting so old so quickly- always vying for attention and there never be enough of me to go around......so, as silly as a Halloween costume is to carve out time for just me and my daughter, it is my heaven on earth!!! And does she look just precious in it or what????!

All of that being said- I will only be able to take a few more Halloween orders because of being so full already. The cost of costumes will range depending on how in depth they are and how much fabric they require. I will give you a quote or you can tell me the range that you can spend and I will work around it from there.

Just FYI

I DO make costumes for boys (will post my own son's costume shortly)-

I DO make costumes for all ages-

I am open to working from a pattern, a picture and custom designing something-

I am 100% open to you asking your child what they want to be and keeping them part of the process like I do for my own ;)- just ask and you shall receive! A costume certainly doesn't have to be a "character" or even "something". My son wanted to be a TV one year with the Backyardigans playing.....I made it but he change his mind the day before Halloween. Laci wanted to use feathers last year but knew nothing else so we made her a mask out of feathers and turned it into a fall fairy kind of thing.....if your daughter loves pink and wants to be something pink then we can create anything from there! Just use their loves as a starting point. Email me with any questions or for ideas.

Xoxo,

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment